Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Our LOOOOOOONG bike ride

Hi guys! We are officially cyclists. It all started when Tyson (Bryce's co-resident) called us Sunday night and left a message asking us if we wanted to pack a picnic and go on a long bike ride on Memorial Day. We called back Monday morning and set a time to meet. I began making sandwiches while Bryce went to the store to buy a bike rack for our car. A few hours later and we were on our way. We drove to the Douglas Trail, about 10 minutes from our house. After the girls were nicely situated in our bike trailer, the journey commenced. It was a perfect day - about 70 degrees, sunny, with a constant light breeze. After about 4 miles we stopped to rest at an old water pump/picnic area in Douglas (a very, very small town). After we finished eating our picnic and the girls stretched their legs for a bit, we continued on the trail. It was a beautiful trail with honeysuckles, wild rhubarb, little farms tucked here and there throughout our path, and greenery everywhere. We rode another 9 more miles until the trail finally ended at Pine Island. Fortunately for us, there was a beautiful park and playground at the end of the trail. The girls were troopers during the ride, but they were more than ready to get out and play. Crazy enough, the 13 miles we had biked didn't seem that long or hard. The trail was very level due to the fact that it was built and paved directly over an old train track route.

The 13 miles back was a different story. The wind was now actively blowing against us the entire way. Poor Bryce, the bike trailer that he was pulling was acting like a "parachute loaded with bricks" as Lindsey so appropriately described it. :) Well, long story short, we made it back to the cars. And yes, we felt pretty proud of ourselves for having accomplished a 26 mile bike ride!!! Despite the fact that we had no idea just how "long" the bike ride would be when we first agreed to go, I would totally do it again! I have discovered that I'm more "outdoorsy" than I once thought. I would take biking over running any day. Bryce and I have talked about trying to get out and do this a little more often now that we have a bike rack. :) However, before I turn pro, my first investment is going to be a padded seat!

8 comments:

Liz Wilcken said...

ooo...can I ride in the trailer for the bikes next time?! I always thought that looked so fun :)

nelsonjeneen said...

Sweet! We have a bike trailer too and just got a nice free bike. I rode it yesterday and OH MAN< I am out of shape. My power to you, Jean.
jilly

Teeps Peeps said...

Great post Jean! Glad you had fun after all, and have no intentions of harassing the Teeples family. We really love you guys and are so thrilled when we get together. It is the BEST! Happy times.

Anonymous said...

This looks so fun! Next time I'm there I'll rent a bike and we can do it again. I like your new blog look and I love the music.

Annie Sunshine said...

Ohhhhhh....I feel Bryce's pain. I love riding my bike, EXCEPT when the wind is against me due totally to the bike trailer on the back. I think the description you gave is as accurate as anything else I have tried to describe to Wade when I moan about the wind. On the bright side at least once a week I get an EXCELLENT workout thanks to the wind.

Sara said...

JEAN! Happy Birthday!!! I tried to call--TWICE (which is a big deal now in my insane household) but just got a weird beep. Sorry I missed you. I'll try again tomorrow, but I'm thinking of you today! Hope it's fantastic!

McAllister Family said...

How fun! Family bike rides are so much fun! You live in a beautiful place! I love all of the pictures!
Hope you had a Happy Birthday, Jean!

McAllister Family said...

PS- I absolutely love that new family picture for your header! So beautiful!