Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Our wonderful spontaneous vacation!

We went on our first real spontaneous family vacation this past weekend. Bryce didn't have class thursday afternoon or Friday, so we were looking for something to do during that time. Bryce's co-resident Tyson told him that his family was going down to Nauvoo at that time, and Bryce informed him that we were coming along too. :D I hate to crash a family vacation like that, but I'm so glad we did! Hopefully the Teeples didn't mind too much, we sure are grateful for their willingness to have us along.

So, we drove up on Thursday afternoon and arrived in Nauvoo IL that evening just in time for the Nauvoo pagent. After the pagent, we went to a campground and set up our tent in the dark with the light of our car headlights. We awoke the next day and spend the day walking around Nauvoo visiting the different historical sights, seeing a children's play "Anna Amanda" (really cute and well done), and then did the Nauvoo pagent pre-show activities. We then went back to our campsite and made smores and sang songs. Saturday morning we packed up our campsite and took turns with the Teeples in going to the temple. Wow, I have never been in such a beautiful place before. This was definitely my most favorite part of the trip.

This was our second camping trip as a family, and it went a thousand times better than our first time. The girls both loved camping. In fact, Claire spent the whole time we were exploring Nauvoo asking me if we could go back to our tent. :) Funny girl. We had air matresses and so I had no complaints with camping either. The only down side was the 7 ticks we found during our stay, one of which had bitten Cady and had to be pulled out with tweezers. Yuck.

I only wish we had a camera during this trip. We are definitely going to be visiting Nauvoo again during the next 5 years. If anyone is planning on going, let me know and we'll drive up again too. :) I just loved that place, it was so beautiful, full of history, and such an example of the faith and testimony of the early members of our church. I loved this vacation. What a wonderful note to end our summer break with.

Yes, sadly, break is over. Bryce is going to school full time now, but I'll take it anyday over his residency last year. If anyone is confused, Bryce is still an OMS resident, but he'll be in med school the next 3 years getting his MD as well. Supposedly, the first and fifth years are the hardest in his 6 year program. I'm happy to be at the point that we are at now.

6 comments:

Stephanie-jean Life:SemiCrunchy said...

Oh what fun! I have not been to Nauvoo in years (in fact, I have only been once and that was before they announced that they temple would be rebuilt)! Dan and I have talked about getting sealed in the Nauvoo temple and I have always thought that would be a neat place to be sealed (even before it was announced)! If we do end up getting sealed there, we will definitely let you know, we would love for you guys to be there!

Annie Sunshine said...

Okay...so jealous. We made it to Nauvoo on one of our last weekends in Wisconsin, and there was so much to do that I still want to go back. Not to mention we forgot our Temple recomends, (which could have possibly been fixed with a phone call), and our temple bags (which we found out if you are desparate they have some clothes for rent) but then we had a misfortunate night and our Sunday clothes were no longer good enough to enter the temple in.

So in the end I decided that we were just meant to return to Nauvoo and being inside the temple would be one major motivation to get there. Hopefully it will be in the next five years and we will meet you there!

Do they still have Sunset by the Mississippi?

Em said...

I am so happy that this camping experience was better then the last. Good thing they grow up :) Hoefully, many more camping experiences in the future.

Hallenbergers said...

COOL vacation DUDE!!! I have never been...=( I am glad the girls like camping! When we come and visit we should go and do the camping too! THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!

Anonymous said...

Next time we come to see you I want to take this trip.

Elizabeth said...

I hadn't realized this was an impromptu camping trip. Now that is daring. I'm glad it went so well.