Monday, April 28, 2008

Frantic Food storage!!!

Okay, so I'm not really frantic about this, but it's definitely my number one focus right now. I've had an increasing feeling that I need to stock up and get organized with food storage. I'm sure you've been hearing things about this too, it seems to be every where now. In fact, so many people are buying food storage that bishop storehouses are out of wheat (mine is getting more in two weeks, hopefully it'll stick around long enough for me to get some), and Sams club is limiting the amount of rice people can buy (4 bags a trip). The interesting thing is that my entire family (on both sides) is pushing to do the same thing: get food storage.

I have talked to several different people about food storage and their approaches to it, and I've selected a plan that I think will be best for us. In fact, I think my plan is so brilliant that I'm going to share it with you. What? I'm humble. :D

I have planned out 20 different meals that I can make out of food storage items. I am going to have a box for each month of the year, and in the box will be all of the ingredients necessary to make 15 of the meals. Then, when each new month starts, I will go down to the basement and select the box labeled for that month. I will unpack that box into my cabinets, and go shopping for 15 new meals worth of ingredients. I will then re-stock the box and put it down in the basement until I need it the following year.

Bryce and I decided on 15 meals a month because that gives us a few days for leftovers, eating out, and variety in our menu for the month. We are also going to store the recommended amount of wheat, rice, legumes, honey, etc. so we'll have long term storage as well.

I love this plan because I will know exactly what to do with my boxes of food and everything will be rationed out so I'm organized and fully prepared. Also, I'll be using my food regularly and we will be getting our money's worth out of our food storage. I think it'll be healthier for our family as well, eating more wheat and beans and such. I'm hoping this will save us more money in the long run, I seem to go to Walmart at least once every two days it seems!

I've got an excel file with all of my food storage recipes written on it, I can email the full recipes to you if you want them. Let me know and I'll email them directly to you. Let me know if any of you have any special tips, recipes, or approaches you'd like to share...I'm open for suggestions!

12 comments:

Maike said...

Sorry I have no special tips for you...I just think it's cool you're sharing your ideas with us...'cause I know I need the help! I too feel some urge to be more prepared.

Alicia said...

I have been thinking about food storage a lot lately too. I need go through what i have and stock up more. I love your idea! I would love recipes too. I really should do what you are doing- I hate trying to figure out what to make for dinner. Way to go! Also, your girls are SO cute. Such long pretty hair too.

We are... said...

Oh my gosh Jean! I have been really concerned with this too and have been trying to get SOME with the very little money we have. I would LOVE to be able to have you email me a copy of those recipes, because I really think your way would be completely affordable for us...and a tad more likely because we don't have that much space and this will be a little more predictable for us. My email is studette1372@juno.com; so if you don't mind, I would love a copy of those. I have always felt this as very important, so maybe I can do some researching as well and trade ideas with you!

Anonymous said...

You don't know me but I found you on google. I get a bit overwhelmed when I think about food storage, but I really want to do it. I would love a copy of your recipes if you don't mind.
My email is debbmoody@cox.net

Jeremy said...

Such a great idea! One of my wards always had it its RS bulletin a list of a few things to buy each week to build up to a year of storage. Though I liked the idea I just didn't know what I would actually do with that particular food (recipes, etc). So I like your plan because it is important to me to ROTATE the food! Please send me some recipes. I think you have my email but if not, it is amberhaider105@yahoo.com
Amber

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed with you and your idea. I know you've been working really hard on this and I'm sure it feels great to have something in place. Way to go!

Terra said...

I would love you recipes.

Thank you :)

nelsonjeneen said...

Send to me too!!! I would love the receipes you have on file. Sounds like fun.
Jill

familyof4 said...

Good for you!! We just refilled our 3 (50 gallon) containers of water this saturday! WE tasted to water and it tasted fine even after 6 months! I have an excel sheet too with all the food we have and when it expires. I just opened my 2nd can of sugar yesterday. It felt good to be actually using some of my food! =)
Will send me the recipes please!
KaraLWood@Yahoo.com

Sharlynn Sanders said...

Hey Jean I found you on Jill's blog and thought I would see what you had been up to. Your family is so cute. We are also working hard on food storage and I would love to see your recipes!!
Thanks,
Sharlynn (Floyd) Sanders

Sharlynn Sanders said...

Oh my email is shar2floyd@netscape.net
Sharlynn

by: Kim said...

I would love a copy of your recipies and more info on your storage ideas. We just had a great FHE on preparedness and what we need to do and food storage is one that we need to work a little on and any ideas are great.

stukim@kanab.net